ABOUT THE EVENT
The Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic was first hosted in 1991 as a way to provide an exciting, family oriented production for the community at no charge. Created by Scott and Laura Spencer now in partnership with Townsquare Media radio stations and presented by CapEd, this event is enjoying almost 30 years of entertainment here within the Treasure Valley.
Hosted annually at Ann Morrison Park, the event brings together locals and tourists alike who enjoy being surrounded by endless colorful balloons, inspiring music, and their favorite local radio stations.
All launches are weather-permitting, however they typically take place starting at 7:15 a.m. and last until as late as 9 a.m. You can frequently see the hot air balloons soaring over downtown Boise, with the occasional balloon falling on historic landmarks, including building rooftops, right in the middle of Broadway avenue, and even the front lawn at our Capitol building!
With free tethered rides on select days, a chance to meet aeronauts each morning and one-of-a-kind night spectaculars, the Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic is truly an event you need to experience!
Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic presented by CapEd Credit Union will take place from Wednesday August 28th through September 1st, 2019 at Ann Morrison Park.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Here’s what you can expect from this year’s event!
Thursday – Media Day
Friday – VIP Launch Day
Friday – Night Glow
Saturday – Morning Launch
Sunday – Morning Launch
PARKING & PARK ACCESS INFORMATION
We look forward to welcoming you to the 2019 Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic! This is a FREE event so we invite you to bring the entire family! Before you head over, make sure you look over our parking and event map for this year – as areas have changed from previous years.
Guests have three points of entry for this year’s event. Guests can enter the park from Americana Blvd (west end of the park) and either Royal Blvd or University Dr/Ann Morrison Park Dr. entrances (east end of the park).
It is a grand family experience to come to Ann Morrison Park and watch all the balloons drifting into the morning sky above Boise. Here are a few tips to enhance your experience for this year’s gathering of hot air balloons.
Always dress for the morning
- It usually doesn’t take long for the temperatures to rise, but it is chilly first thing in the morning. Experienced balloon fans dress in layers so that they can shed a layer as needed. Speaking of dressing for the morning, the grass in the park is usually pretty wet with overnight dew right after sunrise, so you might want waterproof shoes for the smaller guys and gals in your family.
- You’ve never seen the likes of our “ham” pilots before. They’ll always take a moment to pose for a picture with you next to a balloon or basket; all you have to do is ask. Asking is the key word here. Please don’t presume to enter a balloon for a picture without first obtaining permission from the pilot or crew chief. Looking for the perfect shot? Here’s a hint, closer is not always better.
Dogs and balloon launches
- Despite the fact that we’ve been telling people for years not to bring their pet to the park during balloon operations, some people still do. We love dogs, however the burners that power our balloons make a sound that is inaudible to humans, but when experienced up close by your pet, actually hurts his/her sensitive ears. It’s the same reason that dogs bark and cats, horses and cows beat feet the opposite direction when a balloon flies overhead. Please be thoughtful of your animals and leave your fur buddies at home.
- It is perfectly appropriate to bring a lawn chair with you. Remember though, the balloon you see laying on the ground is going to grow nearly 20 times bigger when its filled with air. If a pilot or crew member asks you to move your chairs, please do so with a smile.
For your safety (and everyone else as well)
- Never, ever, EVER, step on a balloon. Always be mindful of where your feet are.
- Please listen carefully to any instructions given over the P.A. system.
- Refrain from smoking on the field. Propane fumes will sink to the ground and are very explosive! Please, simply walk to the edge of the site before you light up. This will also avoid a burned balloon from ashes or a dropped cigarette.
- Absolutely no drones will be allowed on the premises by regulation of the FAA.
BECOME A VOLUNTEER
Are you interested in volunteering at the Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic? There is so much going on and we’d love for you to be part of it!
Q: Who can “Crew” a balloon?
A: Pretty much anyone. We love families. It’s a great way for Mom, Dad, and the kids to spend some quality time together. Smaller kids (under 14 yrs) are welcome but need to be managed by their parents.
Unless they are with one of the several local clubs and organizations that come out and crew, young people below the age of 18, won’t be able to crew without Dad and/or Mom.
Q: What will we be doing?
A: You’ll actually help ready the balloon for flight, help inflate it, launch it, chase it while it’s up in the sky, help it land, pack it up and return it to the launch site.
Q: How do we learn to do that?
A: No experience needed, we’ll teach you what you need to know.
Q: Is it hard work?
A: It can be, there is some lifting and packing the balloon around, so you should be in good physical condition. It’s an adventure! If you have a bad back, you should pass on crewing.
Q: What should I bring with me?
A: Just yourself. Dressed in long pants (usually Levi’s), a good hiking boot or tennis shoe and leather gloves. You’ll want a jacket in the morning, but that time of year it usually warms up fast, so dress in layers so you can shed down as the heat comes up.
Q: What time do I need to be there and where do I park?
A: Check in time is 6:40 a.m. by the big white tent and parking is available by the baseball fields. Use W. Ann Morrison Park Dr. off of Capital Blvd to access. Please do not park by ramps, cones or barriers.
Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic Volunteer Form
Thank you for your interest in volunteering as a balloon crew member! By submitting this form, you are agreeing to the following: -I have read and understand the frequently asked questions printed above. -I do understand that I am volunteering as a ground crew member. -I understand that I will not be a passenger in the balloon.
Click on the links below for more information:
Spirit Of Boise Balloon Classic827 E. Park Blvd. Ste. #100Boise, ID 83712
Phone: (208) 344-6363