FREE FUN FOR EVERYONE!
31st Anniversary of Boise's Balloon Classic
EXPIRES: December 31, 2022
WELCOME TO THE
SPIRIT OF BOISE BALLOON CLASSIC
Entertaining Treasure Valley For Over 30 Years
ABOUT THE EVENT
The Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic was first hosted in 1991 as a way to provide an exciting, family oriented production for the community at NO charge. Created by Scott and Laura Spencer now in partnership with Townsquare Media radio stations and presented by CapEd, this event is enjoying almost 30 years of entertainment here within the Treasure Valley.
Hosted annually at Ann Morrison Park, the event brings together locals and tourists alike who enjoy being surrounded by endless colorful balloons, inspiring music, and their favorite local radio stations.
All launches are weather-permitting, however they typically take place starting at 7:15 a.m. and last until as late as 9 a.m. You can frequently see the hot air balloons soaring over downtown Boise, with the occasional balloon falling on historic landmarks, including building rooftops, right in the middle of Broadway avenue, and even the front lawn at our Capitol building!
With FREE tethered rides on select days, a chance to meet aeronauts each morning and one-of-a-kind night spectaculars, the Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic is truly an event you need to experience!
Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic presented by CapEd Credit Union will take place from Wednesday August 31st through September 4th, 2022 @t Ann Morrison Park.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Here’s what you can expect from this year’s event!
Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic 2021 kicks off with Kids Day on Wednesday, August 31st. Hours may vary depending on weather, but it’s scheduled to begin at 6:45 a.m. and continue until the balloons run low on air — typically around 8:45 a.m.Kid’s Day allows children to enjoy complimentary tethered rides aboard one of their favorite hot air balloons. In addition to free, tethered hot air balloon rides there will also be various activities for children available throughout Ann Morrison Park. Stop by before taking the kiddos to school! Lines do get long, so the earlier you can show up the better!
Thursday 9/1 – Media Day
Everyone is welcome on Thursday, our media day! Stop by to enjoy the first introduction day to the 2021 event! The festivities will kick off around 6:45 a.m. (weather depending) and should continue until 8:45 a.m.
Friday 9/2 – VIP Launch Day
Get your cameras ready! There’s no better way to kick off a holiday weekend than by watching countless hot air balloons take to the sky! The Boise skyline will be filled with colorful hot air balloons as they see where the wind will take them. The event is weather dependent, but is scheduled to kick off around 6:45 a.m. and continue until the balloons land, sometime between 7:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m.
Friday 9/2 – Night Glow
This once-a-year event is a MUST visit! Bring your loved ones, lawn chairs and blankets for a night at Ann Morrison Park watching the hot air balloons perform an epic nighttime glow show! The event is FREE and scheduled to run from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. depending on weather. While guests of all ages are encouraged to attend, we do hope that you’ll leave your fur animals at home, as noises that are undetectable to human hearing can cause extreme discomfort to pets.
Saturday 9/3 – Morning Launch
If you’re looking for a reason to get your Saturday morning started early, this is it! Stop by Ann Morrison Park between 6:45 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. for a morning hot air balloon take off! The view is spectacular and is a definite must-see. As always, this flight will be weather dependent with times that could vary.
Sunday 9/4 – Morning Launch
Rise and shine! The final day of the 2022 Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic includes morning flights and fun picture opportunities.
Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic: Kids’ Day 2017
Video from the 2017 Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic presented by CapEd Credit Union kicks off on Wednesdays with the Kids’ Day! This is an opportunity for families to enjoy FREE tethered rides in Ann Morrison Park.
PARKING & PARK ACCESS INFO
We look forward to welcoming you to the 2022 Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic! This is a FREE event so we invite you to bring the entire family! Before you head over, make sure you look over our parking and event map for this year – as areas have changed from previous years.
Guests have three points of entry for this year’s event. Guests can enter the park from Americana Blvd (west end of the park) and either Royal Blvd or University Dr/Ann Morrison Park Dr. entrances (east end of the park).
It is a grand family experience to come to Ann Morrison Park and watch all the balloons drifting into the morning sky above Boise. Here are a few tips to enhance your experience for this year’s gathering of hot air balloons.
Always dress for the morning
• It usually doesn’t take long for the temperatures to rise, but it is chilly first thing in the morning. Experienced balloon fans dress in layers so that they can shed a layer as needed. Speaking of dressing for the morning, the grass in the park is usually pretty wet with overnight dew right after sunrise, so you might want waterproof shoes for the smaller guys and gals in your family.
• You’ve never seen the likes of our “ham” pilots before. They’ll always take a moment to pose for a picture with you next to a balloon or basket; all you have to do is ask. Asking is the key word here. Please don’t presume to enter a balloon for a picture without first obtaining permission from the pilot or crew chief. Looking for the perfect shot? Here’s a hint, closer is not always better.
Dogs and balloon launches
• Despite the fact that we’ve been telling people for years not to bring their pet to the park during balloon operations, some people still do. We love dogs, however the burners that power our balloons make a sound that is inaudible to humans, but when experienced up close by your pet, actually hurts his/her sensitive ears. It’s the same reason that dogs bark and cats, horses and cows beat feet the opposite direction when a balloon flies overhead. Please be thoughtful of your animals and leave your fur buddies at home.
• It is perfectly appropriate to bring a lawn chair with you. Remember though, the balloon you see laying on the ground is going to grow nearly 20 times bigger when its filled with air. If a pilot or crew member asks you to move your chairs, please do so with a smile.
For your safety (and everyone else as well)
• Never, ever, EVER, step on a balloon. Always be mindful of where your feet are.
• Please listen carefully to any instructions given over the P.A. system.
• Refrain from smoking on the field. Propane fumes will sink to the ground and are very explosive! Please, simply walk to the edge of the site before you light up. This will also avoid a burned balloon from ashes or a dropped cigarette.
• Absolutely no drones will be allowed on the premises by regulation of the FAA.
Spirit of Boise from the CBS 2 Stem Action Drone
The CBS stem action drone captures stunning footage of balloons gearing up for the Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic.
BECOME A VOLUNTEER
Are you interested in volunteering at the Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic? There is so much going on and we’d love for you to be part of it!
Q: Who can “Crew” a balloon?
A: Pretty much anyone. We love families. It’s a great way for Mom, Dad, and the kids to spend some quality time together. Smaller kids (under 14 yrs) are welcome but need to be managed by their parents.
Unless they are with one of the several local clubs and organizations that come out and crew, young people below the age of 18, won’t be able to crew without Dad and/or Mom.
Q: What will we be doing?
A: You’ll actually help ready the balloon for flight, help inflate it, launch it, chase it while it’s up in the sky, help it land, pack it up and return it to the launch site.
Q: How do we learn to do that?
A: No experience needed, we’ll teach you what you need to know.
Q: Is it hard work?
A: It can be, there is some lifting and packing the balloon around, so you should be in good physical condition. It’s an adventure! If you have a bad back, you should pass on crewing.
Q: What should I bring with me?
A: Just yourself. Dressed in long pants (usually Levi’s), a good hiking boot or tennis shoe and leather gloves. You’ll want a jacket in the morning, but that time of year it usually warms up fast, so dress in layers so you can shed down as the heat comes up.
Q: What time do I need to be there and where do I park?
A: Check in time is 6:40 a.m. by the big white tent and parking is available by the baseball fields. Use W. Ann Morrison Park Dr. off of Capital Blvd to access. Please do not park by ramps, cones or barriers.
Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic Volunteer Form
Thank you for your interest in volunteering as a balloon crew member! By submitting this form, you are agreeing to the following: -I have read and understand the frequently asked questions printed above. -I do understand that I am volunteering as a ground crew member. -I understand that I will not be a passenger in the balloon.
Click on the links below for more information:
Related Business Information
Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic
1000 S AMERICANA BLVD Parking, Boise, ID, USA
View the related business: Spirit of Boise Balloon Classic
We are not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with any other company, agency or government agency. All product and company names are trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of their respective holders. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them. Retailers are under no legal obligation to accept offers or coupons.